Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wk 9 – Situated Cognition

  • What is learning?

Learning is doing. When we can get in and get our hands dirty, we learn. Learning occurs when knowledge is applied to real-world situations.

  • How can learning be best effectuated by a teacher/trainer?

Learning through real-world examples and scenarios is very effective. Apprenticeships are also effective. During my student teaching, I was responsible for all the duties of my cooperating teacher and I learned the most about classroom management through student teaching than I learned from any book. I also learned that there is more to teaching than just having content knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Becky

    You are so correct is your explaination of learning based on this weeks theory, I know personally for me that I better able to learn when I can get my hands in an get them dirty, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    Good thoughts about the value of apprenticeship. I think that the idea of an apprenticeship could really benefit our students as we teach them real life skills. Of course, this idea of apprenticeship is mixed up with the argument about a liberal arts education balanced with a practical job training type education. I just hope I can find that balance!

    ReplyDelete