Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wk 12 - 6105

Well, this is my final post for this course. It has been nice to keep a log of my personal thoughts and learning experiences that I have had in this course. It really has made me reflect on my learning.

Distance Education Evaluation
I've usually viewed DE from a student perspective, so when it came time to review on how to evaluate the effectiveness of distance education all I could think of was the end of course evaluations we do. But it goes a lot deeper than that. I also see the need for more formal evaluations in DE is perhaps more critical than in a f2f environment because you don't get the regular feedback (body language/facial expressions) to adjust your teaching. In teaching math, I rely heavily on facial expressions to determine student understanding.

It was also a good reminder of what I should be doing in my f2f classes. Sometimes I get a little lazy and don't want to do a class end evaluation.

In one of my other classes this semester I created an educational website. I also have to do some kind of usability testing. I used a Google Form for this and it worked out quite nice. This could be one way to have formal evaluations for a DE class. I would prefer this over the postcard idea. (I think the 3rd article was a bit dated)

To wrap things up, I have gained vast amounts of knowledge about the plethora of resources available if I ever get the opportunity to teach a DE class. I hope that if this happens in the future, I will be able to fully utilize what I have learned and properly implement the knowledge I have gained into the DE classroom.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment