Friday, May 22, 2009

Wk 2 -- Behaviorism

My idea on learning hasn't changed much over the past week, but my ideas on how learning can be best effectuated by a teacher/trainer needs additional added to it. I feel it is important for a teacher to provide a lot of positive reinforcement. I sometimes get caught up in the notion that if they do well on an assignment, then that is enough positive reinforcement for them. However, some students need a little extra and grades aren't as important to some as others. So to keep motivation high, I need to provide ample positive reinforcement for all students. For example, in my Algebra 1 class, I have students that have failed math for at least 3 years and have given up. They don't care about their grades, but when we play a game and I bring candy into the mix, the atmosphere of the entire class changes and I see much more participation. The key is finding reinforcement that works for each individual class.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how a seemingly small and insignificant reinforcer can go a long way? I remember back when I was in school thinking to myself, "I'm not going to learn this just for a silly game!", but I wasn't all that competitive then either. I understand now that others were surely motivated by this concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky I like you think that a grade shoud be enough of a positive reinforcment, especially for high school students. However, like you I figured out it doesn't seem to be.I always find it interesting how kids come alive when candy or food is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive reinforcement can make a great difference for the student in our class. I remember how important is was for me as a student and have seen a student completely change by complimenting or recognizing them. However, i do forget to do it as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete